The Wonderful Watermelon
Its summer and its hot and humid. Nothing seems better to eat than a nice cold slice of watermelon! The truth is watermelon is one of those foods that you should eat for not just its cooling properties but for its health benefits as well. Many health practitioners consider watermelon to be a super food among fruits. Here are some of its benefits.
- Watermelon is loaded with water (92%). The other 8% is filled with great nutrients which have a variety of health benefits
- Watermelon is extremely alkalizing. As I have discussed many times before, disease does not prosper in alkaline environments but rather in acidic ones.
- Watermelon was actually a treatment for people with failing kidneys before the advent of kidney dialysis. It has extremely good diuretic properties.
- It is a good source of potassium and is useful in muscle and nerve function. It also has anti-inflammatory qualities that can help conditions such as arthritis, asthma, atherosclerosis, colon problems, diabetes and auto-immune disorders.
- This fruit has been approved by the American Heart Association as a heart healthy food.
- Watermelon has more lycopene than just about any other fruit or vegetable. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and has been shown to reduce the risk of breast, colon, endometrial, lung and prostate cancer.
- This nutrient packed fruit may have an effect similar to Viagra due to its ability to trigger the production of a compound that relaxes the body’s blood vessels.
- It also contains a fair amount of the mineral magnesium which is extremely useful for heart health, muscle relaxation and brain health.
- Watermelon also is a good source of vitamin’s C and A and has small amounts of B vitamins, vitamin K and pantothenic acid. Add to this that it is full of minerals and you get a lot more than just a very delicious and cool fruit.
The only concern with eating watermelon is that it contains 10 grams of sugar per 1 cup of watermelon. However this sugar is bound with fiber which makes it slower to leave the stomach and less likely to rapidly raise your blood sugar. One thing that you can do to decrease this likelihood even further is to eat some fat at the same time as the watermelon which further slows the rate of absorption.
If you would like to learn about other foods, their benefits and how you can plan a diet full of healthy nutrients for you and your family, please contact me at 516 609 0890 or drdbrant.com
Yours in infinite wellness,
Dr. Garry D’Brant