Posted on

Ten Reasons Your Toothpaste Could be Poisoning you

Ten Reasons Your Toothpaste Could be Poisoning you

images-1

Have you ever wondered what is in conventional toothpaste?  I have, and when I went looking at the ingredients in many of the leading brands of commercial toothpastes, I was very dismayed to find a variety of toxic chemicals.
I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised because even the warning labels on many of the toothpastes themselves give rise for concern.  Here is what they state:  “Do not swallow” and “in case of accidental ingestion, contact the poison control center.”

It is pretty difficult not to swallow some of the water and toothpaste combination when brushing your teeth, and considering that the tissue in the mouth is one of the most absorbent places in your body this becomes doubly concerning.
Here is a list of the most prevalent chemicals found in toothpastes and their toxic effects on humans:

  1. Artificial sugars – all sugars lower the pH of the dental plaque which makes the area more acidic.  The most acidic the area the more damage occurs.  If you applied this rule to the rest of the body, many health experts believe that the more acidic the body tissue, the more likely you will generate diseases.
  2. Diethanolamine (DEA) – a foaming agent which disrupts hormones and cause cancer causing nitrates.  End result, an increase in liver and kidney cancer.
  3. FD &C Dyes 1 & 2 – artificial colors which have been linked to a host of health disorders including allergic reactions, asthma, ADD/ADHD, migraine headaches and cancer.
  4. Fluoride –  perhaps one of the most controversial chemicals in use today, there is substantial evidence that at the dosage used today (1,000 ppm), fluoride causes gum damage by disrupting enzymes activity and delaying the gum self-regenerating mechanism.   One study demonstrated that prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause damage to the brain, decrease IQ in children, damage to the pineal and thyroid glands as well as cancer.
  5. Glycerin – a very sticky substance, glycerin has been shown to coat the teeth like plastic wrap, blocking them from absorbing much needed nutrients and re-mineralizing.   According to one source, toothpastes containing glycerin take 20 rinses to get it off.
  6. Polyethylene glycols (PEG) – one of the most common plastics in use today for packaging and containers, polyethylene glycol has been studied extensively for its toxic effects.   The National Institute for Occupational Safety in a report states: “Ethylene glycol is chemically broken down in the body into toxic compounds.  It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system (CNS), then the heart, and finally the kidneys.  Ingestion of sufficient  amounts can be fatal.”
  7. Propylene Glycol  – one of the active ingredients in antifreeze, it acts as a surfactant and solvent.  In commercial use this chemical is considered so toxic that it should only be handled with protective clothing in place,(ie gloves, goggles) and disposed of under strict protocol.
  8. Sorbitol – this sugar alcohol is absorbed slowly into the human body but it has a demonstrated history of causing gastrointestinal disturbances.  Foods containing sorbitol have been shown to cause diarrhea, bloating, gas and have been implicated in decreasing fat absorption from other foods.
  9. Surfactants (substances which reduce the surface tension of liquids that it is dissolved in) – the most well known of this group of chemicals is sodium lauryl sulfate which shows up in a host of healthcare products, such as shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Surfactants are readily absorbed into the body and can cause eye and skin irritation, hormone imbalances, canker sores, mouth ulcers and cancer.
  10. Triclosan – is well known in industry for its anti-microbial (germ killing) quality.  Originally registered as a pesticide, this chemical is linked to thyroid hormone disruption, disruption of heart function and is highly carcinogenic.

images-2

It is convenient to give your kids and ourselves good tasting, easy pouring toothpastes which we are told will help our families teeth stay strong and healthy.   Unfortunately, as can be seen from reading the above list  this just isn’t the case.

If you would like help figuring out what chemicals might be hidden in all of your household and home care products please contact me and I will be happy to assist you (I even come to people’s homes!).  I can be reached at 516 609 0890 and at drdbrant.com

Yours in infinite wellness,

Dr. Garry D’Brant